33 thoughts on “Forum

1. This perhaps has not yet been announced in this forum: 간절한 마음 = Urgent Heart in English, I believe.

I suppose that as new songs appear from CBB, but not from MBB, CBB is likely to perform around 27 July in a Korean War memorial concert.

• CB produces in last time lot of new Songs and especially from the song which you mentioned, we have an interesting Information. The Singers Info says the Song was sung by Han Song-sim, Song Yong and Kim Ju-hyang. Han Song-sim is probably the new Singer from the 2016.5.11 concert, but I wait for a new concert too be sure.

2. Kim Ju Hyang of later CBB and Jong Su Hyang of later MBB perform here in a Tudou video as graduating students at the Venus High School, an elite gymnasium specialized in musical education for Pyongyang elite daughters. The two appear to be class mates. Ri Sol Ju graduated from the same school in 2007, two years earlier, together with many girls who sang with Unhasu Orchestra. The performances were broadcast in NKorean TV in 28 May 2009. http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/qwMP4MdcrEQ/

3. «Pyongyang, September 2 (KCNA) — A joint performance was given by the Chongbong Band and the State Merited Chorus at the April 25 House of Culture from Aug. 31 to Sept. 2.»

Let’s hope elufatv uploads the video soon. 🙂

4. Found this radio recording of “We are Mallima Riders” translated probably in Japanese, and I also heard some Korean. Can somebody give more info on this?

• This was a very interesting video. It is not Japanese; it was only recorded and published by a Japanese person, who put there Japanese subtitles. The song is South Korean propaganda towards North Korea, sung in Korean, but with changed words. The singers, who are introduced only as “ordinary citizens” (that is what they sound), claim to be not “mallima riders”, but “mallima slaves”, who run “crying”, and the 10 000 thousand li horse will not “fly”, but “fall”, etc. I did not translate the whole song. Anyway, South Korean propaganda in action in 13 October 2016.

• … and it was. Sung at their first NK appearance. It’s a fine version but I still prefer Yu kyong’s solo.

5. There exists an even older video of wonder girl Kim Ju Hyang. This is a video of her concert with the Pyongyang Student Troupe, which was held for three days at the Seoul Arts Center’s Opera Theatre celebrating the South-North Summit in May 2000. She is supposed to be 8 years old here. Very few, if any, current members of any ensemble can be traced this far back in history. The video is supposed to be by KBS (South Korean Broadcasting System).

• Translations into European and many other languages are not that easy to achieve. You would not only need to know perfect North Korean, you would also need to be a poet yourself in order to do it well. As far as I know, Japanese is the only language where translations of song lyrics are systematically done, because it is so easy. The languages are structurally similar, so that in most cases you can translate word for word and grammatical particle for grammatical particle. Translating into Chinese is a bit more complicated, but is also done.

Because practically everything is being done by interested amateurs, easy things get done, difficult things not. Luca could learn North Korean and start doing lyrics translation systematically. In three years we would have lots of them.

Another problem here is that music itself can communicate universally, because compositions are a non-verbal language of their own. North Korean lyrics, however, tend to be meaningful only inside of North Korea. Only there they fit perfectly with the prevailing religious understanding of the essences of life and relationships of things. Many of us like to listen to North Korean music, because there are lots of good compositions and well arranged performances, but not so many of us would feel comfortable with singing the songs. That is why the interest in and demand for translations of lyrics is fairly low.

Even the North Korean propaganda machinery understands this. They have lots of official translations of KIS and KJI books, lately also KJU works, into numerous foreign languages. The topics of books are about practical policies, not about embracing the bosoms of any of the Great Leaders. Song titles have been systematically translated for a long time, but not the lyrics themselves.

6. You probably know already all this, but Stimme published a news video a couple of hours ago: https://youtu.be/KPB5ok4nVEM
    One of the solists in blue is indeed Hwang Un Mi. She also had the honour of presenting flowers to KJU. She is now 33 years old. The other singer in blue was shown only briefly, but I think she is Jang Yong Ok 장영옥, also from Unhasu Orchestra. I do not know her age, but probably a few years older than Hwang.

The gestalt of UO is in the air; there are many artists from it in SMC and CBB. Here we see the first time evening dresses on former UO females since April 2010, though the dresses are now a bit conservative compared to what they wore when they were 7-9 years younger.

7. I find strange that we haven’t had any trace of Kim Ju Hyang 김주향, who was also in Chongbong band since the Samjiyon Orchestra concert in April 2018

Leave a comment